Banner

Your Ad Here

Friday, January 28, 2011

Introducing...The Bible Belt Atheist!

              Good evening ladies and Gentlemen. I would like to start off by telling you a little about myself and the intentions of this blog. I am one of three children born and raised in the church. I never questioned my religion, not even for a moment as a child. I loved Jesus, I wanted to be as close to him as possible. It wasn't until my early twenties that I started to question my faith. Some doubt their faith based on emotions, some out of anger, and some to rebel and go against the grain. I on the other hand started to doubt based on my love for the stars. As a teen I would always look up and praise god for the beauty he made for us. I stood in awe when I saw pictures of distant stars and planets, as anyone should. But when I looked at these marvelous spectacles there was always the thought that god created it and therefore it was stagnant, it was boring. There was was no mystery when ultimately everything ended up with the phrase "God created it." Little did I know one night that the next time I clicked the StumbleUpon button on my Firefox plugin that one video would change my life. This video was titled A Universe From Nothing by Lawrence Krauss and it was the catalyst that sparked the evolution of my reason, and ultimately led to the dismissal of my childhood love.

           Since that night I have been consumed by reason and evidence. I am compelled to investigate and inquire about the things I used to blindingly accept as truth, I became a skeptic. What didn't change is as important, perhaps more, than what did change. My core values were intact. I can assure you that the absence of god did not enable me to become divorced from my morality. I am ordinary, I am boring, I am not a foul ball in left field. I am a simple man who tries to do good to others without the fear of punishment or the motive of reward, I simply do it because it is the right thing to do. I do not need god or religion to make informed decisions on how to treat another human being, and it is an insult to imply that anyone does.

        I wish to inspire thought, debate, and promote cohesion to people of all faiths. That being said I will most likely say things that will offend some people of faith and possibly even atheists. It is not my intention to deliberately offend anyone, however I am learning that anytime religion is injected criticism is not tolerated. Please feel free to email me or even Gtalk me. I wish to be transparent and open to anyone who wishes to take the time to read what I have to say. That is all.



2 comments:

  1. 0 comments: foreveralone.jpg

    Cool posts though man, couldn't agree more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Skogen! Since this blog is just a little baby please spread the word and get some traffic here. I would love to inspire some intelligent debate between people of all walks of life Christian or not.

    ReplyDelete