Banner

Your Ad Here

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Being a Secular Parent


When I was a child my schoolmates and I would often play a game of possibilities. This game had no formal name, but if it did it would probably be "What if." The game would be played out something like this: I would ask a mate "What if you could fly." They then would contemplate the things that could be accomplished given the parameters. Well, being raised in the church I was often asked "What if your son was gay." As if that was the worst possible affliction a child could have. This cruel line of questioning was abundant among the believing, and at the time I didn't second guess its absolutely cruel nature. What I find amusing now, is people ask the same sort of question to me with the presumption of my atheism. The wording of the question is changed however the message is the same. "What if your son grows up to be a christian," again as if this is the worst conceivable possible life choice my son could make. This question has been posed by Christians and atheists alike and most of them with children themselves. I will tell you why I have and always will hate this line of questioning.

The question assumes that I have some sort of choice over the matter, or at the very least assumes that I think I have a choice in my sons life's decisions. I understand that the parent has a role in shaping the mind and ethics of their children, but to imply that I may simply wish my child into my line of reason is missing the point. Richard Dawkins touches on this point many times in his books and his lectures and I tend to agree with it. The point is that religious children who are obviously too young to form an opinion on anything, none-the-less form an opinion on theology, often get labeled with the religion of the parents. When I was a child I was a baptist whether I wanted to be or not, simply because that was the church my mother happened to attend. The same could be said for my cousins who were labeled Catholics when they were still young. I do not wish this for my son, or for any child for that matter, and I think doing so certainly narrows the mind of a young child. When you have grown up in the church and have been labeled a "baptist" since you could remember you don't even think to question it, its the only world you know. Not being a baptist, to me, would have been absurd. Furthermore, questioning anything that contradicted the beliefs of my religion was absurd. And as we have it the complete closing of the mind was accomplished.

I do not wish form of child abuse on my son. My son is not an atheist or an agnostic. He is not a republican, or a democrat. My son is simply a child. My only wish for him is that when he does make up his mind on very important things like religion that he arrives at his decision rationally. If he decides to be an evangelist, a Marxist, a republican, or an atheist I want him to do so in a lucid, open-minded way. At the forefront of his decision making process I want him to know that whatever it is he chooses I will not treat him differently, and that I will always love him even though I may not support his ideology. I do not want the fear of my disapproval to be even a minute factor in any of his ethical decision making. The only time I will intervene is when I feel that he is a danger to himself or others with his decisions.

Being a parent is very difficult. It is a constant learning process for both the child and the parent. When I contemplated being a parent I would often think of the lessons I would instill into my children. So far this little bundle has taught me more about life than anything, or anyone. Being an atheist, or at the least a secular parent, makes it even the more difficult. I am under strict orders from my wife (who is also an atheist) to not use her or my child's name or pictures of them in this blog for the fear of social rejection. As the title suggests we live in the buckle of the bible belt. Her fear is not completely without merit however, there is a real rejection of atheistic parenting here. It is as if the faithful envisions the secular parent teaching their children to sacrifice goats (ironically enough this exaggerated misconception of atheists has it roots in the bible), or that Satan isn't that bad. Being in the backbone of this very religious part of the country makes it even harder to raise a child without religion.

What if my child turns out to be a christian? I will tell him why I disagree with his decision, however I will still love and support him. Deciding to be religious will not remove my love, nor will it shake the foundation of love I have. He will continue to be the most precious thing I ever had a hand in making. He will always be my little dude.

5 comments:

  1. Does your son specifically believe that a god exists?

    If not, how can you say he's not an atheist?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well my son is turning 1 next week. Also I didn't say he would or wouldn't be an atheist. I just want it to be his choice, and not label him until he does.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The most un Christian thing to do would be to remove choice to believe from a child. Both theists and atheists can fall foul of this, and they do so at their peril.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Before I say anything I want to say bravo! I really wish more people were like you! Having a belief, be it a God, multiple Gods or no Gods, doesn't mean other people have to agree with you. That's why it's called belief.

    I have considered myself an atheist for a few years now but before that I didn't consider myself anything. My family are Presbyterian (although one Aunty didn't know that was part of Christianity lol) however we did no more or less religious activities than any average family apart from a short period where my mother taught Sunday School. I should point out I'm not American so my view on what an average family's religious activities are might be different. I have noticed that a number religious people and atheists alike seem to become overzealous in the US (not trying to generalise, there are plenty who aren't as well). Personally I enjoyed Sunday school and liked a number of the stories from the bible. However that never changed my personal opinion there wasn't an all powerful being watching over us. If anything what it did was unknowingly teach me what I needed to finally make that decision to label myself 'atheist'. But then there were those aforementioned overzealous people... they made me feel insecure about using my newly selected label (a label I only chose because everyone in the religious world feels the need for labels) because they were just as bad as bible bashers. Only their weapon was science.

    When I chose to call myself an atheist I hadn't realised that to some people that meant I was claiming to be smarter than them. I know for a fact that I'm no rocket scientist! lol I also didn't realise that my decision might have an impact on my family (although extremely minor compared to what yours must face) now that I was voicing my lack of belief in something my mum (in particular) had silently been believing her whole life. Perhaps it was her lack of expressing her religion that made me over look that she might be upset by my choice, but none the less she did at least on one occasion question me about it. But then that was it. Now without getting too biblical I consider my mum a saint ,I was born with brittle bones and she has been my strongest advocate all my life, so let me tell you that if she had voiced concern over my 'conversion' (for lack of a better word) to atheism then I might have had a very tough time sticking to my guns. However she has taken much the same stance you yourself have. And because of that I feel free to constantly reevaluate my beliefs and still strongly consider myself an atheist.

    So after getting a bit longwinded again I say bravo! Bravo to people like you and my mother who realise that our choice in beliefs don't matter. It's what we do with them that counts. And for me it's not clobbering anyone over the head with mine. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good post and you sound like a loving father. If we love our children, we have to let them make their own choices.

    I think that children should be exposed to a variety of religious beliefs. It is more difficult to believer in the existence of hell, if you have met and befriended people from different religions.

    When my children were young, I was very religious and conservative. Yet, three are atheists and one is a liberal Christian. How did that come about? Honestly, I don't know.

    ReplyDelete